Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Return to School Lunch for Dinner: Turkey, Cooler Ranch Doritos, and Avocado Spread Sandwich

Because the Giants won the World Series, a box full of Frito-Lay chips arrived at our office. Our company counterparts located in Dallas were so certain that their beloved Texans would hand defeat to the Giants, that they made a bet in favor of their team. Based on the ongoing party in San Francisco, it is quite evident that the Giants surpassed expectations and came home with the victory, and influenced the influx of "Texan" items (wine, pie, Frito-Lay chips) into our office.

Though I'm typically not too intrigued by processed chips, when I spotted the blue Cooler Ranch Dorito bag, I was brought back to a childhood favorite - stuffing crunchy/salty chips in between two slices of bread as an additional compliment to a sandwich. Glorious.

Coming off of the previous night's dinner or seared sea scallops with cauliflower puree and swiss chard, I thought: why not do a 360 and prepare one of the most elementary (literally) dishes possible. Thus, upon securing my little individual bag of Cooler Ranch Doritos, my anticipation for the evening meal grew and I felt like a little kid again.

Given that turkey is my go-to lunch meat, I selected this as the base of the sandwich (after all, I couldn't just have a dorito sandwich...could I?)

However, some nutritional value needed to be incorporated into the sandwich. Therefore the final lineup included:

- 2 slices of sprouted wheat bread
- Avocado spread (1/3 avocado + 1 tsp vegan mayo + 1 tsp lemon juice + 1/8 tsp. cumin + salt and pepper) mashed and mixed
- 5 slices of deli turkey meat
- 1/2 tomato, sliced
- 2 romaine lettuce leaves
- alfalfa sprouts
- Cooler Ranch Doritos

Pile everything in between the bread and you've got yourself and incredible, nostalgic sandwich. The only thing missing was the chocolate milk or juice box and a chocolate chip cookie (or in my case, a Little Debbie snack - I was notorious for those!)



This meal does not lend its way to a culinary critique...it is what it is...and I thoroughly enjoyed it :)

1 comment:

  1. yummmmmmm, although I was probably afraid of sprouts back when I was putting chips on my sandwiches

    ReplyDelete