Monday, November 8, 2010

Bison Italian Wedding Soup

Anytime Derek says he is sick, or I'm feeling a little under the weather, I find it a perfect opportunity to make soup for dinner. I just love how comforting a good bowl of hot soup with warm crusty bread is. So when I heard word that Derek was feeling a bit under the weather - my recommendation? Soup! And being the nice girlfriend I am (most of the time), I let him choose exactly what he was in the mood for.

His selection? Italian Wedding Soup.

Interesting. I've never made it before. Not being a huge fan of meat in my soup, Italian Wedding is not one that I eat frequently. However, on this cold (for San Francisco at least) fall night, it seemed to fit the bill just perfectly.

To stray from any sense of standard soup creation, Derek decided he wanted to use bison for the meat. Fine with me. So I looked up "Bison Italian Wedding Soup" and sure enough, it was out there! I picked up the first recipe that I saw and sent it over to Derek for approval.

And because he was not in fact deathly ill, I left him to do the cooking (I had cooked the previous two nights...his turn).

Bison Italian Wedding Soup
3 servings, all completed by 2 people



I swear, soup pictures never look good. Oh how I desire a good camera...

Ingredients:
1/2 egg, beaten
1/2 teaspoon fresh fennel, grated
1/2-1 teaspoon fresh basil, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 slice of sourdough bread, crust removed, torn into pieces
1/2 pound ground bison
1 quart organic chicken stock
1 carrot, peeled and diced
1 celery stalk, sliced
1/3 cup orzo pasta
3 cups spinach, chopped and packed
* grated parmesan to pass, optional

Mix eggs, seasoning and olive oil together.
Add bread and ground bison and mix thoroughly.
Form into small meatballs, making about 20.
Place on baking sheet and bake meatballs in a 425* preheated oven, until browned.

In stock pot on stove top over medium high heat, head some butter and add the carrot and celery. Let cook until the vegetable begin to tenderize. Add the chicken stock and bring to a boil.
Add orzo, and cook until pasta is tender, about 8 minutes.
Reduce heat and add meatballs and juices from meatball pan to the stock. Bring to a boil.
Add spinach and cook for 2 minutes
Ladle soup into bowl and pass with grated parmesan.

Serve with crusty bread.

Ahhhh so comforting. The meatballs had so much flavor and I actually enjoyed them in my soup. Derek substituted fresh ingredients to take the place of the dry ones that the recipe called for and we did not own (fennel, basil) - and it worked out really well. We finished the pot so I guess that proves it was a tasty meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment