Friday, November 19, 2010

Miso Vegetable Soup with Tofu Noodles

When I have a week at home alone and am left to cook just for myself, you can pretty much bet on the fact that I will be cooking tofu at some point. It is an inexpensive protein that I actually have developed a taste for and thoroughly enjoy. So when I was shopping at Real Food Company and came across tofu noodles, I was extremely intrigued and had to try them out. The commercial name for these noodles is Shirataki Noodles and here is the lesson for the day, Shirataki 101, an introductory course:

What are Tofu Shirataki Noodles?
Shirataki noodles tend to be a bit “rubbery”. Although this can be somewhat reduced by a short period of boiling, one food developer found that adding tofu to the shirataki produced a “tamer” texture. It also adds a bit of protein and carbohydrate. (1 gram protein and 3 grams carbohydrate per serving).

What is the health review?

LOW CARB - only 3g of carbs per serving
LOW CALORIE - 20 calories per 4 oz serving
NO CHOLESTEROL
NO SUGAR
GLUTEN-FREE
DAIRY-FREE
CONTAINS 10% CALCIUM
VEGAN
GUILT-FREE

So basically, looking at the "health review" one would think that these noodles are essentially tasteless and void of - well - anything! I'd somewhat agree but I have to give them credit - they really do fit the bill when wanting noodles without wanting the carbs from pasta. I wouldn't really recommend them to take the place of pasta in your everyday spaghetti and meatballs. However, in a noodle soup where the noddle isn't the primary component to the dish, it's a really great alternative and pretty interesting! Sure, it's a little bit rubbery, but can you really expect it to be as delicious as fresh spaghetti pasta?

I'd buy it again, but probably only serve it to my vegan friends who also have an appreciation for this type of food. For pasta purists, this is NOT for you.

My application for the noodles was the Asian inspired noodle soup. I did not follow a recipe as I hardly never do with my vegetable soups. I use the ingredients that I have and that seem to fit in with the soup theme. Here's my version of the Miso Vegetable Soup with Tofu Noodles

4 cups water
3 T. red miso paste
1 T. soy sauce
1 t. sesame oil
3/4 in. piece ginger, freshly grated
1 carrot, peeled and chopped (probably best to do matchsticks, I was lazy)
4 large shiitake mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
1 cup napa cabbage, shredded
2 cups spinach
1 package tofu noodles, drained and rinsed
Roasted Seaweed, mung bean sprouts, thai basil, and chili-garlic sauce for garnish

Heat the miso paste with water in a large pot. Once blended and fully incorporated, add the soy sauce and sesame oil. Add the carrots and cook for about 10-15 minutes, until they soften. Add the mushrooms, cabbage and tofu noodles. Simmer for another 2-3 minutes. Add spinach and stir until wilted.

Ladle soup into a bowl, making sure to get a good mix of broth, veggies, and noodles. Top with mung bean sprouts, shopped roasted seaweed, Thai basil (a generous amount), and chili garlic sauce or siracha, to taste.



This was good - not amazing. I wouldn't be WOWED if I were at a restaurant but I certainly would not send it back either. Technically, it was not perfect, but it fit the bill for a comforting Asian-inspired noodle soup. Just fine for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment