Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Gnocchi with Spicy Acorn Squash

This meal seems like an odd choice on my part. I've always stated that gnocchi is not my absolute favorite pasta. I see it as a plate full of dense tummy-fillers that sit like concrete in your stomach post-consumption. I prefer dishes that leave me satisfied but somewhat "light" afterward. However, when searching for a unique use for acorn squash, I came across a recipe that seemed intriguing: Mario Batali's Cavatelli with Spicy Acorn Squash. The game plan was to head over to the local Italian shop and pick up the pasta, throw together the quick dish, and enjoy a nice balance between "heavy" pasta and lighter squash.

I had never eaten cavatelli before - at least not to my knowledge. My only impression of it was the picture that accompanied the recipe.

So when I came to the Italian shop and did not find this cavatelli pasta, I had to come up with the next best alternative. The recipe states "cavatelli or shells" but - looking at the picture - those seem to be quite different. I see shells as fairly flimsy and light, likely overpowered by the dense acorn squash. In considering the next best alternative, I could only bring myself to consider gnocchi - freshly prepared, sitting in the refrigerator case at the store. Interestingly enough (unbeknown to me at the time), cavatelli and gnocchi are often compared or confused for each other. I came across this comparison in Wikipedia:

Cavatelli are sometimes confused with gnocchi, another form of pasta. The shapes are similar, however the main difference being in composition. Cavatelli are normally made of flour, semolina and water - they can also be made with ricotta cheese in the dough (principally by manufacturers in the United States); gnocchi are usually made from a softer dough consisting of potatoes and flour.

So I guess I am now satisfied with my substitution decision. With my other substitutions and modifications, the final recipe went as follows:

Gnocchi with Spicy Acorn Squash




Ingredients
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
3 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 pound acorn squash—peeled, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1 teaspoon dried thyme (ideally fresh, and add more - 1 T., we were out)
Salt and freshly ground pepper
10 oz (approx - 1 box) fresh gnocchi
1/2 cup freshly grated pecorino cheese, plus more for serving

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. In a large, deep skillet, heat the olive oil. Add the garlic, onion and crushed red pepper and cook over moderately high heat, stirring occasionally, until the garlic and onion are softened, about 5 minutes. Add the squash and thyme, season with salt and pepper and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cover and cook over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until the squash is tender, about 7-10 minutes.

Meanwhile, add the gnocchi to the boiling water and cook until al dente. Drain, reserving 1 cup of the pasta cooking water. Add the gnocchi to the squash mixture in the skillet, then stir in 1/2 cup of the pasta cooking water and toss gently to combine. Add the 3/4 cup of caciocavallo, season with salt and pepper and stir gently; add a little more pasta water if necessary. Serve the pasta right away, passing more cheese at the table.



I've opened my mind to gnocchi. I still stand firm in not wanting an entire plate full of the little dumplings, that would be too much. However, it's great for either a small appetizer portion (though a small portion would still probably fill you up too much to where you wouldn't enjoy your dinner - so maybe scratch that comment) or combined with other lighter elements to create a balanced dish. Acorn squash served as the lighter component to this meal. I also think some wilted spinach would be a great addition - adding that needed pop of color.

I would like to try the smaller gnocchi, the ones that we bought were fairly large, better eaten in two bites. If I feel adventurous, maybe I will try to make some on my own - I'm thinking sweet potato gnocchi.

Don't be surprised if you see that recipe come up in this blog within the next few weeks...

Overall, I loved the squash - you can't go wrong with acorn squash. And the pasta was actually good and added some nice substance and variation to the dish. I should also mention that the pecorino made the dish. A little goes a long way. It adds a fantastic saltiness and richness to the dish. After mixing in just a bit of cheese, the dish transformed into a seemingly "creamy" composition with a balance of salty, spicy, richness.

1 comment:

  1. looks awesome. i looooove gnocchi. -craig

    ReplyDelete