Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Indian-Spiced Braised Swiss Chard with Tofu

Here we go - another Indian inspired meal! You would think I was foreign with the amount of Indian or Asian style cooking that I do. I think the reason for this is my sincere love for spices. Not spice, as in heat, but spices. Those wonderful bursts of flavor that can play together in so many different ways. While Indian is the spice king when it comes to cuisines, I group Asian in there for the wonderful flavors of ginger, chili, coriander...then bursts of cilantro and other bright notes.

I had picked up some tofu from the Tokyo Fish Market since it is such an affordable source of protein and I'm enjoying familiarizing myself with it and testing different applications.

Tonight's meal came from yet another refrigerator raid, picking two items that I have and seeing what the World Wide Web would present to me. Result? Indian-Spiced Braised Swiss Chard with Tofu. What an easy selection, my research stopped there.

I decided to do a half recipe which was perfect for a good sized dinner portion and then a lunch portion (eaten today and thoroughly enjoyed it).

Indian-spiced braised Swiss Chard with Tofu

Serves 4

2 bunches swiss chard (approx. 16 - 18 leaves)
1 block extra firm tofu, sliced in half and then cubed (I used medium firm, worked out quite well)
3 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped (I used red onion)
1 tbsp ginger, minced fine (used ginger juice, see below)
3 cloves garlic, minced fine
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp garam masala
1/2 tsp red chili powder
1 tsp cumin powder
1 tbsp kosher salt
1 tomato, chopped
1 cup water
1/4 cup roasted cashews, for garnish

Method:

1. Trim the stalks from the swiss chard leaves. Set stalks aside. Cut the chard leaves crosswise into thin strips, and wash and drain thoroughly. Chop the stalks into a fine dice.

2. Heat the olive oil in a large pan. Add the onions, garlic, and ginger. Saute a few minutes till golden brown.

Now add the chard stalks. Saute 1-2 minutes more. Add the turmeric, garam masala, cumin powder, red chili powder, and salt. Saute a few minutes till fragrant. Add the tomatoes and cook till mixture is pulpy.

3. Add the swiss chard leaves and cook on med-high a few minutes, just until the leaves wilt.

Now add the tofu and water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to med-low and simmer 15 minutes till chard cooks down and the flavors meld together.

4. Sprinkle with cashews and cilantro (didn't have - bummer) just before serving.

Given my novice status with both tofu and Indian cuisine, I followed this recipe without any personal variation - well except I probably used a little more swiss chard than it called for since I wanted to use it all up - I think I had 10 leaves or something...

The other variations would be the use of red onion instead of regular and the substitution of ginger juice for fresh ginger (I thought that I was out, come to find it was only hiding in my refrigerator). Still it gave me an opportunity to try the ginger juice that I had purchased from the beer/wine store as a possible mixer for alcoholic beverages - however, it is perfect for cooking too! I believe it was a one-to-one ratio but don't quote me on that. It's a pure ginger taste - it's the real thing. Sure beats peeling and chopping that root!!



What's great about this recipe is the way that the spices and flavors really meld in such a way that it is difficult to pick out any specific item. They were subtle yet strong at the same time. Really delightful. I want to try and make this one for Derek and see what he thinks! If you don't want to use tofu, the swiss chard by itself is really killer so it could be a wonderful side dish to some other Indian entree - maybe tandoori chicken? Chickpeas? Mmmmm this is making me want some more.


No comments:

Post a Comment