Sunday, June 6, 2010

Vegetable Miso Soup

Isn't it fun when you just start chopping ingredients and throwing them into a pot, hoping that they will all blend together to make something delicious? This was my gameplan for this meal. I had quite a few vegetables plus some leftovers (wakame salad)and new ingredients (miso paste). Additionally, I didn't want to have to buy anything as money has just seemed to be vanishing into thin air lately. Funny how that happens.

In order to track what I put into the soup - let's call it Vegetable Miso Soup - I took a picture - as seen below:



Ingredients (approximately)

1.5 T. vegetable oil
1 to 1.5 inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/3 cup onion, finely diced
1 large stalk of broccoli, trimmed and florets separated
1 1/4 cup sliced shiitake mushrooms (stemmed)
2 cups green cabbage, sliced
2 heads of bok choy (about 2 cups), sliced
5 T. miso paste
5 cups water
1/2 cup enoki mushrooms
1/2 cup wakame salad (lefovers - otherwise used rehydrated wakame and add a touch of sesame oil and pinch of sugar to the soup to recreate the flavors)

In a large soup pot, add the oil and heat over medium to medium high heat. Add the garlic and ginger for 30 seconds.

Add the onion and cook until it softens (about 4-5 minutes).

Add the broccoli, shiitake mushrooms, bok choy, and cabbage. Saute for about 7 minutes more.

Add the miso paste and water and mix thoroughly. Bring to a boil and then turn to a medium low heat for simmering. Let simmer for about 20 minutes.

Add the enoki mushrooms and wakame salad. Leave in long enough to heat through - 2 minutes.

Adjust with pepper if needed (the miso has enough salt, do not add any!!)

Serve warm!





I had bought some silken tofu to go with this meal as well. However, I had enough food for that meal so I decided not to throw it in. Last night though, I added the tofu to the soup when I reheated it and it was a great addition - that is, if you like silken tofu. It's my favorite - it's just a like a soft custard addition to the soup. I highly recommend adding this in!

No comments:

Post a Comment