Sunday, June 6, 2010

Tuna Poke with Japanese Risotto and Wakame Salad

I wanted to make something fun for the last dinner before Derek flew off to Vegas for the summer - well, for the next six weeks at least. I had a craving for Tune Poke and had also bookmarked an interesting recipe that I had come across for Japanese Risotto. This made menu planning quite simple as I had a great protein, starch, and then threw in a wakame (or seaweed) salad for the vegetable. Sake for the evening libation and bada-bing-bada-boom, a meal is ready for creation!

I took charge of the Japanese Risotto and have to say, I did one heck of a job. Followed the recipe ALMOST completely, though I decided to add in some shiitake mushrooms that it didn't call for. The recipe says that it is four servings but Derek and I finished up a full recipe - no problem. Perhaps four smaller appetizer portions?

Japanese Risotto with Mushrooms
recipe from Whole Living

4 1/2 cups miso-infused broth (about 1 T. miso paste per cup of water)
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 cup Kokohu Rose or other short-grain rice
1/2 cup sake
3/4 cup sliced shiitake mushrooms
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup enoki mushrooms
1/2 cup chopped scallions
1/4 cup Kaiware sprouts

Directions
1.Combine 4.5 tablespoons miso paste (we used red soybean) with 4 1/2 cups water and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer.
2.In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the rice, stirring constantly in one direction, until well coated. Remove the pan from the heat and add the sake. Return to the heat and stir constantly in one direction until all of the liquid is absorbed.
3.Add the shiitake mushrooms. Add the stock or broth in 1/2-cup increments, stirring constantly until the liquid is absorbed with each addition. Season with salt and pepper.
4.Spoon into serving bowls, garnish with the mushrooms, scallions, and sprouts and serve.

For the vegetable, I felt like making one of those delicious seaweed salads. Therefore, I picked up some dried wakame and reconstituted the seaweed as directed. What was amazing was how the little threads of dried wakame turn into this:

That is some piece of sea vegetable if I've ever seen one!!

Wakame Salad
measurements are approximate - Derek sort of threw in a little this and a little that

1/2 ounce dried wakame
2 T. rice vinegar
1 T. grapeseed oil
1 t. sesame oil
1 T. soy sauce
2-3 T. miso broth
1.5 tsp. sugar
2 tsp. sesame seeds, toasted (I'd recommend using a little more)
red pepper flakes, to taste
salt and pepper, to taste

Rinse the wakame, place in a bowl, and cover with water. Soak until soft, about 5 minutes. Squeeze dry and trim away the spines, if there are any. Slice into thin strips, and toss in a bowl with the remaining ingredients. Chill if desired.


For the Tuna Poke - the "star" of the meal - I purchased two different types of raw sushi-grade tuna. The first was just traditional "maguro" while the other one was, I think, Bluefin - the more expensive of the two. After taste testing the raw material, I can see why. Both were tasty but the blufin just melted and had a more pronounced flavor - in a good way.

Tuna Poke
...the recipe went something like this...

1/4 cup chopped green onions
1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon grated peeled fresh ginger
1 1/2 teaspoons peanut oil
1/2 teaspoon dark sesame oil
1/2 pound sushi-grade tuna, cut into (1/2-inch) cubes
1 garlic clove, minced
red pepper flakes, to taste

Mix all ingredients. Keep chilled.


As an additional treat, Derek came home with some more flowers for me to enjoy and admire while he is away. I had mentioned that I love the Birds of Paradise flower so I was quite happy when I could set them on my table. The last meal:


1 comment:

  1. I really need to get to this fabulous restaurant soon! All the meals served appear to delight the palate it the most delicious way!

    ReplyDelete