Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Spicy Thai Tofu with Red Bell Peppers and Peanuts



Spicy Thai Tofu with Red Bell Peppers and Peanuts

Ingredients
•1/3 cup olive oil
•2 large red bell peppers, seeded, thinly sliced
•3 tablespoons minced peeled fresh ginger
•3 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
•1 14- to 16-ounce package extra-firm tofu, drained well, cut into 1-inch cubes
•3 green onions, thinly sliced on diagonal
•3 tablespoons soy sauce
•2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
•1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
•1 6-ounce bag baby spinach leaves
•1/3 cup chopped fresh basil
•1/3 cup lightly salted roasted peanuts

Preparation

•Heat oil in wok over high heat. Add bell peppers, ginger, and garlic; sauté until peppers just begin to soften, about 2 minutes. Add tofu and green onions; toss 2 minutes. Add next 3 ingredients. Toss to blend, about 1 minute. Add spinach in 3 additions, tossing until beginning to wilt, about 1 minute for each addition. Mix in basil. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle peanuts over.

I don't have a lot to say about this meal since it has been about a week and a half since I made it, but I will say that I would make it again. I did a half recipe which was enough for a dinner and lunch the next day. It keeps very well for leftovers and could be delicious cold or hot. I used siracha sauce instead of the red pepper flakes and make it slightly spicy...after all the name is spicy thai tofu!! I love the taste of siracha, it's almost like a sweet/hot combination...much better than your typical tabasco sauce!

My goal for this recipe was to replicate a similar tofu that I have gotten from a nearby gourmet store that is just so fantastic but I can tell it has a decent serving of oil incorporated in it. Not that this recipe was oil free - but it had considerably less. I think the oil is definitely a necessary component, cooking spray just wouldn't have the same flavor profile. I like the fact that it is a peanut dish without the peanut sauce which tends to be on the unhealthy side - depending how it is made (though I am a true sucker for peanut sauce).

The sweetness of the peppers and the spike of the lime juice, mixed with the spicy siracha and creamy tofu contrasted with a crunchy peanut made for a really interesting and easy dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment