Sunday, June 6, 2010

Poached Egg with Indian Onion Masala

After having some incredible Indian food two times within one week, I was a bit on an Indian kick - and must say, I probably still am. My more recent Indian excursion was to a South Indian restaurant that serves food quite unlike the traditional curries and tikka whatnot that fill many Indian menus. Instead, the South Indian cuisine focuses on rice, lentil and coconut, but not necessarily in its typical state. For example, rather than serving a side of rice with a curry, rice is used for common dishes such as dosa (a crepe made from rice and lentils), Uttappam (a thicker - pancake version of a dosa with rice and lentils) and Idli (a fluffy steamed rice and lentil cake.

Additionally - the new surprise dish that really wowed me was Vada, Dahi Vada to be exact. This is a fried lentil dumpling - think donut - that is then soaked in water (or the yogurt sauce, I've seen both) so it is very moist, and then served in a yogurt sauce with typical garnishes such as tamarind and chutney. Funny enough, I would have never known this was a fried dish, it tasted so refreshing! The blend of flavors is just incredible and the cool yogurt with the soft dumpling is quite amazing.

After having these wonderful Indian dishes - I decided to continue on with the general Indian theme as I still had leftovers from my first meal and needed an accompaniment. Given that I think poached eggs are one of the easiest and most tasty dishes for the moment, I searched for "Indian Poached Eggs" something I know is completely non-traditional but I thought, hey perhaps some fusion chef had thought this one up. I came across a recipe for "Eggs Poached in an Onion Gravy" - the name turned me off a little - "gravy" sound real healthy...though I do know they call any type of sauce either a gravy or masala...so I took a look and saw that I had the ingredients and decided to give it a go!

Eggs Poached in Onion Gravy
note: I scaled the recipe to a 1 serving - so cut everything by 75%

Ingredients
4 eggs
2 large onions (chopped)
3 cloves of garlic ( chopped)
3 tbs oil
1 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp curry powder
1/2 tsp turmuric
1/2 cup water
salt
cilantro for garnish

Heat oil in a WIDE pan add chopped garlic fry for 1 min then add chopped onions,turmuric and salt mix ,cover and cook on a low flame until onions are soft then add chilli powder , curry powder and 1/2 cup water cook for 2 more min then crack eggs one by one directly in to pan keeping place in between each egg do not distrub or mix eggs ,cover the lid and cook on a low flame for 10 min or until eggs are cooked completely then garnish with cilantro

I had used a sweet onion so this dish was one that I would describe as "sweet" in nature - with the curry and sweet onion that was slowly cooked. It was a great contrast to the spicy leftovers that I had. I would reduce the cooking time of the egg a little because it wasn't really runny, the yolk had begun to cook - which is completely up to the diner as to how they like their eggs. I was quite pleased and it served to satisfy my Indian craving without calling for odd ingredients and was very easy to prepare.


No comments:

Post a Comment