Thursday, April 22, 2010

Indian Tofu Scramble with Spinch

Derek's gone - I get to experiment some more with tofu. In my latest issue of Food & Wine magazine, I came across this recipe and thought it looked pretty easy and pretty tasty!

I followed it to a T - well until the end when I realized it needed something else...but basically followed the complete recipe

Ingredients

1 pound firm silken tofu, drained and crumbled
1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/2 head of cauliflower, cut into 1/2-inch florets (2 cups)(I did a mixture of cauliflower and broccoli since that is what I had)
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tablespoon finely grated fresh ginger
3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
1/4 teaspoon turmeric (optional)- I used it
3 cups baby spinach (3 ounces)- I probably used a little more
2 scallions, thinly sliced
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper

My addition:
1/2 tsp. curry
1 T. chopped cilantro (on top)

Directions

1.Spread the tofu on paper towels to drain for 20 minutes.

2.Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat the oil until shimmering. Add the cauliflower and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until browned, about 12 minutes. Add the garlic and ginger and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the cumin, coriander and turmeric and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.

3.Stir in the tofu and cook over moderately high heat until warm, about 2 minutes. Add the spinach and scallions and cook, stirring occasionally, until the spinach is wilted, about 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Spoon the scramble onto plates and serve.

Served a big portion of the scramble with a piece of toasted pita bread.

Result? Hmm..it was good...but not great. Something was missing and I was having a hard time putting my finger on what it was. And then, AHA - it came to me - tomatoes! For some reason, I think that adding some diced tomatoes would really round out the dish, adding some acidity and juiciness (both of which it lacked). It would also tone down the spice flavors...at least, this is my hypothesis.

I'll try it again - but add tomatoes, I'll be curious to see the outcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment