Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Thai Curry Vegetables with Coconut Lime Scented Quinoa

Sitting at my desk on a Monday morning, I think to myself - what do I want for dinner tonight? What time is it? Oh probably only about 10 AM. So what? My mind wanders at work...and planning the evening meal is quite enjoyable.

Where did my mind lead me this time? THAI. Healthy, of course. It's a Monday - need to start the week off right as I know it slowly goes downhill throughout the week...

I used a recipe from another blog to serve as my guideline for this quick and easy meal.

The base: THAI CURRY VEGETABLES with COCONUT LIME SCENTED QUINOA

I made a full recipe, knowing full well that I would eat the leftovers. And my, my - just now I am looking at the empty plate to my right...previously filled with - what better than - leftovers!!

Ingredients

1 cup quinoa (I used red)
1 13.5 ounce can lite coconut milk
3 cups low sodium chicken broth
1 tsp. agave nectar
1 T. cornstarch
3 tablespoons green curry paste (recipe called for far less, and for red)
1 small head cauliflower, cut into bite sized pieces
1 "twig" of broccoli, cut into bit sized pieces
4 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 2 inch sticks
1 zucchini, cut into half rounds
1/3 lb fresh sugar snap peas
Sea Salt
zest of one lime
juice of half a lime

Thoroughly rinse quinoa in a mesh strainer to prevent quinoa from being bitter. Bring the quinoa, coconut milk, and 1 cup water to a boil, cover and simmer. Cook until the quinoa has soaked up all the liquid (about 25 minutes).

Meanwhile, bring the chicken broth and green curry paste to boil. Add the cauliflower, broccoli and carrots and allow to simmer until the vegetable are tender, about 10 minutes. Using a slotted spoon remove the cauliflower and carrots and transfer to a large serving dish. Add the sugar snap peas and zucchini to the simmering broth and cook until tender, approx 5 minutes. Using the slotted spoon, transfer the sugar snap peas and and summer squash to the serving dish. Allow broth to reduce to 1/2 cup. Stir in cornstarch (pre-mixed with a bit of the liquid to avoid clumping)a nd agave nectar. Season with salt to taste. Pour over the vegetables.

Once the quinoa is fully cooked remove from heat and mix in the lime zest and juice. Salt to taste. To serve, spoon the vegetables and broth into individual serving bowls and top with a scoop of the quinoa. Enjoy!

I was surprised that this recipe lacked garlic, onion, oil...

However, it was quite cook - nice and light but the quinoa added a nice jam packed surprising flavor - especially attributed to the lime. It was a light meal but the quinoa is definitely a protein packed grain (6 grams per 1/4 cup dry) + the coconut milk (well that adds a good portion of your daily allotment of saturated fat...but I'll disregard that)...together they added some good substance.

Oh - and to top it off, I toasted some cashews and sprinkled them on it. I thought it would add a nice, well-rounded crunch.

And it did!

If you're looking for something healthy, light, but substantial enough - this will do!


No comments:

Post a Comment