Saturday, April 17, 2010

Chicago Fizz (Cocktail)

While in New York, we went to our favorite cocktail bar, Little Branch. It's the sort of place that you go and tell the bartender what you are in the mood for - fruity, citrus, spicy, dark rum, rich, light - whatever floats your boat. My request was something relaxing, a "night cap" if you will, that contained egg whites but was not too sinful. I ended up with a port wine, light rum, lemony, delicious drink. What an odd mix! However, it left me wanting to have it again!

When I realized that we, in fact, had every ingredient that comprises the drink, I had to try it!

So our Saturday night creation:

Chicago Fizz
Ingredients

1 ounce dark rum (some recipes say use light rum - I tried both, and surprisingly, with good dark rum, its even better!)
1 ounce ruby port
1/2 ounce lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon superfine sugar
1 egg white
club soda


Shake the rum, port, lemon juice, sugar, and egg white with cracked ice in a chilled cocktail shaker, then strain into a chilled small glass and fizz with club soda or seltzer water (you only need about an ounce).

The egg white adds a touch of "creaminess" or thickness - something I've really grown to like in drinks. We use organic eggs, locally grown, so I feel like those are fresh enough to use for this.

(A martini glass is not the best way to serve it, but that's what we have - it's recommended to use a Tom Collins glass).

Very tasty - I wouldn't say we perfected it - but not bad - I'll keep making it! It's nice to branch beyond the traditional Bacardi Limon and Diet Coke for once!

No comments:

Post a Comment