Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Steamed Tofu with a Ginger Peanut Sauce and Roasted Vegetables

Day 3 - I was inspired by the steamer...dying to use it again - and Derek's gone, so I can try cooking with tofu!! I realized that my favorite kind of tofu is that custard-like soft stuff, known as "silken tofu" - it's WONDERFUL in miso soup and other Asian noodle soup dishes. Wanting to combing the silken tofu with the steamer, I typed in "steamed tofu" into Google, crossed my fingers, and hoped that I wasn't crazy for wanting to put this concoction together. Just my luck - it exists!! And as no one jumps at the idea of eating plain tofu, I knew I needed a sauce of some sort, and not wanting to exactly replicate Derek's Friday meal - the thought of a peanut sauce sparked excitement in my stomach!

To offset the slimy goodness of the tofu, I decided to roast up a medley of vegetables - adding a nice little crunch to the meal.

Here's what I did...

(Note: I made a full batch - 1 block of tofu, otherwise it would have gone to waste...guess what I'm having for lunch today!)

1 block of silken tofu, drained for about 20 min.
1 T. finely minced ginger (divided)
1 T. peanut butter
1.5 T. soy sauce, plus a little extra
2 t. peanut oil
1 T. water
1/2 t. hoisin sauce
dash cayenne

I lined the steamer with cabbage leaves and sat the tofu block on top. I cut a few slits into the tofu and lined them with a little ginger, then sprinkled a little soy sauce on top (just a little bit). Once the water in a large pan was at a boil and producing steam, I put the steamer in the water and closed the lid. I let the tofu steam for about 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, I whisked together the rest of the ginger (maybe 2 t.) and the liquids until combined, then heated it up a bit before pouring it over the tofu.

To top it off, I scattered a little green onion on top of the tofu.


For the roasted veggies, I cut up some broccoli, bok choy, full baby carrots, a baby red potato, and a fingerling potato, misto-ed the mix, and then salt and peppered them and put it in the oven at 425 for varying times. The carrots and potatoes took about 30 minutes, broccoli about 20, and the bok choy, only about 5-7 minutes or so.

I used about a little over half of the block of tofu...it was a lot of tofu - but probably a good serving for dinner. I really enjoyed it, and I'm excited to try today's lunch that has the rest of the tofu marinating in the rest of the peanut sauce - should be tasty!! :)

Night 3 Entertainment: "Sex and the City: The Movie" - wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment