Thursday, February 18, 2010

Valentine's Dinner at Farmhouse Restaurant (Forestville, CA)

Nothing says "I love you" like an incredible four course meal with wine pairing at a Michelin Star restaurant...at least when food and drink is one major way to your heart. This was Derek's approach to making me a happy girlfriend this Valentine's Day. Valentine's Day happened to on the same weekend that we were up in Russian River Valley (west of Sonoma), our Christmas gift to each other, and a wonderful wine country meal seem to perfectly fit the bill. We were lucky enough to be first on the "waiting list" for dinner at Farmhouse Inn and Restaurant, and the week before the trip we were told that they would be able to accommodate yet. This made me VERY happy....here's why....


The restaurant itself we this charming country style house that looked fancy yet comfortable at the same time.

To begin, the waiter brought us an amuse bouche of a potato blini topped with house-cured ocean trout, creme fraiche, chives...and perhaps something else....the trout was fantastic, a nice bite to start what was to be an incredible meal...

Katie's First Course: Oysters with Lime Crema (no image)

I decided I was going to go seafood 100% today (well, minus the dessert), and had heard something about oysters being an aphrodisiac, so even though I had only had them once before, I'd give it a try. Honestly, I appreciated the oyster for all of its ocean freshness, I really did. However, it's not a taste I'm fully accustomed to. The texture was right, the lime crema perfectly accented the oyster without overpowering it, but oysters aren't necessarily at the top of my favorite food list. I need to try them more!

Derek's First Course: Roasted Beet Soup with Caviar

This was basically like a really delicious vegetarian (besides the caviar) borscht. A beautiful red/purple color, balance throughout the soup. A slight sweetness melding with salty bits of caviar...really enjoyable.

Katie's Second Course: Seared Sea Scallop with a Berkshire Pork Belly and Mushroom Hash with an Apple Tarragon Vinaigrette



Wow. Perfectly cooked scallop, that was all I could ask for with my favorite variety of seafood. The tender scallop led way to a slightly crip combination of rich earthiness, toned down by fresh pea shoots and a refreshing yet complex vinaigrette, pleasantly containing little bits of crisp apple. Aaah...we could have stopped there and I would have been a happy girl.

Also...the wine that went with this, a local Chardonnay from Hanzell, retailing at around $50 was to die for. Russian River Valley is known for their Chardonnays and this one is no excepetion to the excellence! Buttery, smooth, balanced...would love to have another glass of this one again.

Derek's Second Course: Grilled Paillard of Tuna




Katie's Third Course: Red Snapper with a Warm Lobster Salad



How can something be rich and light at the same time? That is the only way I can describe this dish. Full of light components in the seafood and citrus, but with a heavy dosage of butter hidden in there (not so discretely, I knew it was sinful), to fully round of the dish. The sauce was a mustard butter sauce, balanced and really tasty. The skin on the red snapper was perfectly paperesque, thin and crispy without the sogginess or fat-like characteristics commonly causing me to scrape the skin away from the fish and leave it on the plate. This time, I actually ate it all. And the lobster, oh the lobster...a "side note" on this dish, but a true star...big, succulent pieces, perfectly cooked - probably the best I've ever had. Also in the lobster salad was a combination of grapefruit, fennel, and celery root. Ahhhh...

Derek's Third Course: Pan Roasted Guinea Fowl



Katie's Fourth Course: Trio of Meyer Lemon




Lemon sounded like a refreshing way to end a big meal. Plus, with a trio, I got the chance to try THREE different desserts...so this was a no brainer decision. The three components were a lemon creme brulee, lemon sorbet with a sugar decoration, and a lemon olive oil cake. The presentation was beautiful and each component was wonderfully executed. My favorite of the three was probably the creme brulee. A perfectly crisp top broken to a smooth layer of lemon spiked, creamy goodness. With the last bite, I was a bit sad that the experience was over...however my stomach thanked me as I don't know if I could have comfortably put anything else in it!!

Derek's Fourth Course: Chocolate Souffle





Coffee. Done. Food Coma.


No comments:

Post a Comment