Monday, February 1, 2010

Wholesome Chocolate Chip Coconut Cookies

When I was younger, I made cookies religiously. Probably not the healthiest thing because my favorite part about making cookies is obviously eating the batter. Who cares about the cookie!? Without a Kitchen Aid and cookie eaters around, my baking episodes are few and far between. However, Sunday I was in the mood to do it. And I thought, why not try to make these guys healthy so I won't feel bad eating them! So I basically combined two recipes and I am SUPER thrilled with how they came out.

Here's what I did, and I promise, they don't even taste healthy!

Ingredients:

1 cup rolled oats
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/8 cup flax seed, ground
1/2 tsp. salt
1.5 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup butter
1/3 cup cane sugar
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla
1/4 cup milk
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup unsweetened coconut

Blend the rolled oats in a blender or food processor until flour-like.

Mix the ground oats, wheat flour, flax seed, salt and baking powder in a bowl, set aside.

In a separate bowl, whip the butter until light and fluffy. Add the sugars. Mix in the egg, vanilla and milk - beat well.

Slowly mix in flour mixture until incorporated.

Stir in chocolate chips and coconut.

Drop cookies onto a cookie sheet (with a Silpat!) - normal size cookies, 2 tablespoons or so - fitting about 12-15 cookies on the pan, depending on the size. These cookies don't spread too much so you could probably pack them in more than some other recipes.

Cook about 15-18 minutes at 350 (my recipe was saying 12-14 but I had to keep them in for longer, just keep checking).

Enjoy and feel not-so-guilty about a Whole Wheat/Flaxseed/Oat cookie with organic eggs, milk, sugar, chocolate chips and coconut. Really, come to think of it, besides the vanilla, the entire recipe was organic. Cool!

2 comments:

  1. This one will be on my agenda to bake tomorrow. Sounds delicious and bonus--not so bad for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I made these cookies and I have to admit, they do not taste like they are full of healthy ingredients. What a guilty pleasure to indulge in. Thanks for sharing this recipe.

    ReplyDelete