Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Poached Halibut with Avocado Tomatillo Puree and Green Papaya Slaw



I decided it was about time that I cook some protein again so I told Derek I'd handle the dinner after we picked up two halibut filets from Whole Foods - he could just sit and wait to be served (the luxury I frequently enjoy when Derek is in chef-mode).

My vision for the dinner was FRESH - Derek suggested mushrooms to go with the halibut, I, instead, was thinking avocado and citrus.

So I quickly did a Google search for "halibut" and "avocado" and came across a perfect recipe on Food and Wine - Halibut with Avocado Mash and Green Papaya Slaw. Original recipe found HERE

I modified it slightly, with my recipe listed below.

Poached Halibut with Avocado Tomatillo Puree and Green Papaya Slaw

Halibut
4 cups water
2 shallots, thinly sliced
4 garlic cloves, halved
6 thyme sprigs
1 tablespoon black peppercorns
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1/8 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 lemon
2 6-ounce skinless halibut fillets

Green Papaya Slaw
1 tablespoon sugar
1.5 tablespoons rice vinegar
Crushed red pepper
1.5 cups green papaya—peeled seeded and julienned
1 red grapefruit, segmented and cut into 1-in pieces
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper

Avocado Tomatillo Puree
1 small lime, juiced
1 large Hass avocado, cut into quarters
2 tomatillos, roasted, cut into chunks
1.4 teaspoon chili-garlic sauce
salt, to taste

Directions:
In a large saucepan, combine the water, shallots, garlic, thyme, peppercorns, kosher salt and oil. Squeeze the lemon over the saucepan and add to the pan. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 30 minutes.


Halibut with Avocado Mash and Green Papaya Slaw


Meanwhile, in a microwave-safe bowl, mix the sugar and vinegar and microwave at high power for 1 minute; stir to dissolve the sugar. Add a pinch of crushed red pepper and the green papaya and grapefruit. Season with sea salt and black pepper and toss to coat.

In a food processor or blender, add the lime juice into the avocado and tomatillo and season with sea salt and chili-garlic sauce. Pulse until blended but still slightly chunky.

Place the halibut in a deep, medium skillet, leaving some space between the fillets. Strain enough of the aromatic poaching liquid over the fish to just cover it. Simmer the halibut gently over very low heat just until the fish flakes easily with a fork, about 10 minutes.

Spoon the avocado-tomatillo puree onto two plates and top with the halibut. Sprinkle halibut with a little fleur de sel. Using a slotted spoon, mound the papaya slaw on the fish and serve right away.



Pretty, isn't it! I loved the flavor combinations. They were delicate and refreshing with a slight punch of heat here and there. I'm not sure I'm sold on green papaya though. I liked it but I think jicama would have been even better in this recipe. And I'm very pleased with my random addition of the grapefruit - it added a fantastic burst of flavor that melded so well with everything else on the plate.

Derek opened an unoaked Chardonnay that went beautifully with everything else!

No comments:

Post a Comment