Friday, April 22, 2011

Poached Eggs and Brown Rice for One

Here's a true poor man's meal - rice and eggs plus a few extras and you've got yourself a hearty and healthy meal. I know that if I ever am hard-pressed for cash and must cut down significantly on my grocery bill - this dinner would be an instant staple.

I made it just for myself on a night that Derek was out with his friends and was truly looking forward to it! Though some of the recipes I post on here may be slightly elaborate - I truly love the deliciousness of simple meals - and when they easy on my wallet - I enjoy it even more!!

Poached Eggs and Brown Rice for One

1/3 cup short-grain brown rice, rinsed and dried
2/3 cup vegetable broth
salt
EVOO
1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
1/4 cup onion, diced
1/4 cup tomato sauce
2 leaves of basil, chiffonade
pinch of thyme
pinch of sugar
1 cup spinach
2 eggs, poached
salt and pepper to taste

You could probably make this recipe just by glancing at the ingredients - but just in case some guidance is needed, here's what I did:

Combine rice, vegetable broth, and a pinch of salt in a small pot and bring to a boil. Lower heat, cover, and simmer for about 50 minutes.

Meanwhile, in another pan, saute garlic and onion over medium heat, stirring frequently to avoid burning the onion or garlic, about five to seven minutes. Add tomato sauce and lower hear to medium-low. Add basil, thyme and sugar. Simmer for about 5 minutes. Add spinach and stir to coat. Keep over heat until the spinach just begins to wilt. Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper.

When the rice is cooked, drain and add to tomato mixture. Stir to incorporate ingredients evenly. Serve in a shallow bowl topped with poached eggs, sprinkled with salt and pepper.


Yum-yum-yum. I was very happy with how this came out. It felt healthy and hearty at the same time. I think everyone needs a few of these recipes in their back pocket - ready to pull out when they are either low on $$$ or simply desiring an easy and hearty meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment