Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Red Curry Rice Noodles with Eggplant, Squash and Tofu

Having gone to SF Chefs 2010 the day before and sampled an over-abundance of food and drink, I thought to myself, "tonight - all I want is brown rice and tomato sauce" - something so simple that bland that could set my stomach back on track. For an idea of what I had put myself through the day before...

30 Restaurants - each with at least one to four bite sample of delicious gourmet cuisine to try - I tried all but maybe 3 or 4...that's at least 26 samples of this and that...lamb, shrimp, vegetable, dessert, cheese, soup with foam, gelee...

28 Wineries + Beer + Liquor - unlimited tastings. I'll leave it at that.

Surprisingly, or not so surprisingly, Derek and I focused on the food and stopped for wine only to break up our eating binges. This was a delicious and incredible experience that wasn't AS gluttonous as I am making it seem (or perhaps it was and I can just handle it...) - still after coming home at 6 PM , taking a 5 hour nap (wtf) to wake for pizza and go back to sleep...somehow bland rice sounded great.

However, I knew my tatesbuds would not be as please if I served them rice – so I decided to kick it up a notch, use some leftovers and treat them to something a little more exciting.

Derek had made a fabulous homemade red curry paste the week before so with that and a little coconut milk left in our refrigerator, I had my alternative meal set: Red Curry RICE Noodles. I got the rice in there somehow.

I used the following recipe as my base: Eggplant and Kabocha Squash Red Curry

My recipe:

Ingredients:

4 ounces light firm tofu (first time trying, tasty)
1.5 teaspoons soy sauce
1 teaspoon fish sauce
1 round summer squash
1 medium Chinese eggplant
1 can water chestnuts, drained
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 tablespoon red curry paste
1 medium shallot, chopped
1 large clove garlic, minced
1 teaspoon ginger juice
1.5 tablespoons dry vermouth
1 cup vegetable broth
1/4 light coconut milk
Kosher salt to taste
1 block of rice noodles (not sure the size, it was a decent amount)
Green onion thinly sliced to garnish
Cilantro sprigs to garnish

Instructions:

1. Cut tofu into large dice and combine with soy sauce and fish sauce. Set aside.

2. Cut squash into bite sized pieces; reserve. Trim ends from eggplant and cut into bite-size pieces.

3. Add oil and curry paste to a large pot over medium heat and cook, stirring constantly, until paste sizzles and becomes aromatic - about 30 to 45 seconds. If the paste sticks to the pot, add a little bit of water and scrape to incorporate.

4. Add shallots and cook until partially translucent, about 2 minutes. Add garlic and ginger juice; when aromatic, add dry vermouth, broth, coconut milk and squash. Bring to a simmer, cover, lower heat and cook about 3 to 4 minutes.

5. Add eggplant and cook, covered, about 5 more minutes. Add water chestbuts and tofu along with any marinade. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until squash and eggplant are just tender but easily hold their shape - about 3 to 5 minutes more. Season to taste with salt. Remove from heat until noodles are ready.

6. Meanwhile, soak rice noodles for 5 minutes in water that has just been boiled. Drain and set aside. When ready to serve, add noodles to the pot. Bring back to a simmer a couple more minutes, tossing noodles frequently until they absorb some of the liquid and are fully cooked but not too soft.

7. Garnish with green onions and cilantro. Serve immediately.



OK so not the bland rice dish that I had anticipated, but it was just enough pasta and coconut milk to be comforting without feeling gross and heavy again. I could have used even more red curry paste as it was so delicious but it asted more as a compliment and less of a POW - in your face curry, which was good for this evening.

This was also my first time having "light firm tofu" - and I'm not sure what makes it much different than the regular stuff - I am still somewhat exploring the tofu world.

I had leftovers two days later for lunch and was still pleased.

Yes I bought a bottle of $5.50 unflitered sake to accompany this dish...and yes, I felt a little bit ill again the next day :)

No comments:

Post a Comment