Thursday, August 5, 2010

BLTA (Avocado) Sandwiches


Simplicity, once again, for the Wednesday night meal. I had remembered enjoying a BLT when I had one last - which I must add was probably 3 years ago and was made with turkey bacon since that is all that I grew up with.

Tonight's meal was a big step for me in that I was eating REAL bacon, and not just a single slice, a whole sandwich worth! My one requirement: it HAD to be crispy. The thought of quasi soggy, fatty bacon completely grosses me out. I crafted my BLT according to what I believe to be the most important elements to the simple sandwich:
- Toasted bread: Whole wheat sourdough - two long slices
- Some layer of wetness: Mashed avocado (w/lime juice, cayenne, salt and pepper)
- Crisp lettuce: Romaine
- Juicy tomatoes: Organic slicing tomatoes (wanted heirloom but they didn't seem great at the store)
- Bacon: Niman Ranch Applewood Uncured Bacon coming in at $7 for 10 slices - YIKES

I made sure not to put the tomatoes directly on the bread so it didn't make it soggy. The lettuce served as the perfect security blanket for the juicy tomato. The bacon really does compliment the other ingredients quite well. It's salty, slightly fatty, and super flavorful - when combined with the crisp lettuce, crunch bread, creamy avocado (or mayo), and juicy tomatoes, it's really a complete flavor profile!

And my take on real bacon? It's good! Really. As long as it's crisp. And the leaner the better because I don't love biting into a taste of fat. It is a far cry from the overly crisp or burnt microwaved turkey bacon that my parents introduced me to growing up. While I love the flavor of turkey bacon and probably prefer it over the regular stuff, it is key to cook it properly - on a skillet...please, makes a world of difference!!


1 comment:

  1. Katie this blog is so good, please open it up publicly so I can add it to my Google Reader! Craig

    ReplyDelete