Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Sicilian Cauliflower

This was a dish that my parents would make from time to time when I was growing up. At that time, it was not on my list of favorite dishes. I, for some reason, hated capers, and therefore did not like this dish. As my tastebuds have matured, I realized, what was I thinking! Then I found myself calling my parents at 10 PM (their time) to ask if they could send me the recipe for that cauliflower dish that I had never previously requested. My mom, being the wonderful person that she is, stopped reading her book, got up out of bed and scanned and set this recipe, just so I could make it that night.

Mom and Dad, I think I did you proud - it came out just like I remember - but this time...I liked it.


Sicilian Cauliflower

1 small cauliflower, cut into bite sized florets
1/3 cup chicken broth
2 Tbsp. EVOO
1/4 cup golden raisins
1 large garlic clove, peeled and sliced
2 Tbsp. capers with a little juice (1 tsp.)
1 oz. pine nuts, toasted
1/3 cup chopped parsley
1/2 lemon
salt
pepper

Heat oven to 400 F degrees. Place cauliflower in a small roasting pan and cover with chicken broth and 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Cover and roast for 35-40 minutes, removing the foil after 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, soak the raisins in boiling water for 5 minutes, until soft. Set aside.

Warm remaining (1 tablespoon) olive oil in a small pan. Add the garlic slices. Remove from heat and set aside for 5 minutes. Discard garlic once the flavor has been infused into the oil. Stir in capers, pine nuts, raisins and parsley.

Remove cauliflower from oven. With a slotted spoon, transfer florets to a serving dish. Drizzle dressing over, season, and squeeze lemon over top. Serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment