Thursday, March 17, 2011

Warm Spinach Salad with Poached Egg

Another simple but delightful meal that fits the bill for Rachael Ray's 30 Minute Meals. And perhaps you can now see a strong trend in my meal choices when Derek is out of town - greens and simple meatless protein (eggs or tofu). I think I could eat that combination every night - but then my foodie side gets excited when something new and creative is on the table.

For this combination I chose spinach as my greens and egg as my protein. This is truly so simply that an entry is not necessary, but I like the memory of the tasty successes that I concoct.

The ingredient list for the salad is simply:

1/2 yellow onion, sliced into thin but stable rings
EVOO/Butter
pinch salt
pinch sugar
1/2 carrot, grated
2 Tbsp. balsamic vinaigrette
3 handfuls spinach
1 poached egg

Heat a mix of EVOO and butter in a pan over medium low heat. Add the onion slices and a pinch of salt and sugar and cook until caramelized, about 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Add the grated carrot and vinaigrette and cook for about 1 minute until the vinaigrette is warmed.

Add in the spinach and toss until it is coated with the vinaigrette and slightly warmed but not wilted.

Remove from heat and plate. Top with a poached egg sprinkled with salt and pepper.



I also had some tomato soup leftover so that and a nice piece of toasted crusty bread topped off the simple meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment