Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Eggnog Cookies with Rum-Eggnog Glaze

After my eggnog evening a few nights earlier - I decided to continue the flavor profile in my own creative outlet - cookie making! (Note: after yet another night of homemade eggnog that I had at my parents' place in SC - I'm done for the year - that 1 1/3 cup of rum divided by two people doesn't feel so good the next day...especially when you combine it with 3-4 glasses of wine...oh man)

However, while I was still on my eggnog kick - capturing the essence into a cookie seemed to be a good idea. My taste testers: my co-workers, of course!! The result? I was told by two non-eggnog lovers that they just might give eggnog another chance after having my cookies. I would say that's probably a success.


Eggnog Cookies with Rum-Eggnog Glaze



2 1/4 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 1/4 cups sugar
3/4 cup butter, room temp
1/2 cup + 1 T. eggnog
1.5 teaspoon vanilla
2 egg yolks
rum-eggnog glaze (recipe below) and nutmeg for topping

Preheat oven to 300F.

In a medium bowl combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon and nutmeg; mix well with a wire whisk and set aside.

In a large bowl, cream sugar and butter with an electric mixer. Add eggnog, vanilla and egg yolks and beat at medium speed until smooth. Add the dry ingredients and beat at low speed just until combined.

Drop by rounded teaspoons onto ungreased baking sheets, 1″ apart. Sprinkle lightly with nutmeg or skip this step and sprinkle on the nutmeg after you ice the cookies. Bake for 28-32 minutes or until bottoms turn light brown.

Transfer to cool, flat surface immediately with spatula.

Eggnog Glaze
1 C. confectioners’ sugar
2 T. commercial eggnog
1 T. rum

In small bowl, mix confectioners’ sugar, eggnog and rum until smooth. Makes about 1/2 cup.


Even though I got the thumbs up from the office - I still have to be my own critic. They were a little bit on the sweet side. 1 1/4 cups of sugar should have been a little bit of a red flag for that...if I were to make them again, I'd cut down on the sugar....maybe somewhere between 3/4 and 1 cup. It's not that the sweetness was overwhelming, but to taste buds that are not accustomed to generous levels of sugar, it may be a bit much.

Another change would be the cooking time. They took me about 35+ minutes per batch. I got a little frustrated with the second batch so I upped the cooking temperature to about 325 degrees to move them along.

Otherwise, I was pretty happy with the results. While I can't think of eggnog for at least 11 more months, I would certainly consider making these again.

No comments:

Post a Comment