Sunday, October 31, 2010

Pumpkin Butter

Homemade Pumpkin Butter




I love how rustic this picture looks. Lighting is odd but it is intriguing for me for some reason.

Ingredients
1 (29 ounce) can pumpkin puree
1 cup apple juice (use the good stuff - Simply Apple)
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1 cup white sugar
3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg

1.Combine pumpkin, apple juice, spices, and sugar in a large saucepan; stir well. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer for 30 minutes or until thickened. Stir frequently.

2.Transfer to sterile containers and chill in the refrigerator until serving.

This is quite obviously the easiest thing ever to make. Sure, you could beef it up by roasting your own pumpkin, which I am up for trying when I have a bit more time. However, this was absolutely delicious and now I am lucky to have a big jar full of pumpkin butter that I can eat just like applesauce. The original recipe called for 1.5 cups of sugar but I didn't want to add that much. I think the sweetness level with 1 cup of sugar is just perfect.

I also added more apple juice than the recipe called for, maybe even more than the 1 cup that I listed...I just did it to taste - and speaking of, it is so important to use good apple juice. The Simply Apple is infinitely better than that super sugary cheap apple juice. It tastes more like apple cider with a developed richness that is so delicious. It's about $2 more - just get it.

I've now had this on crackers, toast, a cinnamon raising bagel, from a spoon...it is good in every way.

OH how I love the flavors of fall...

No comments:

Post a Comment