Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Pappardelle with Lamb Ragu

This dish may have been executed due to another Farmer's Market find - however, the inspiration for the meal dates way back...and oddly so. For some reason, I had my eye on this dish since the fish time we crossed paths on FoodandWine.com. The odd part is the fact that it containts three primary ingredients that are typically not super appealing to me: pasta, lamb, ricotta. Still, I've been thinking about this recipe for over a year so when I saw some absolutely fresh, delicious looking pappardelle pasta last Sunday at the Farmer's Market (ok so I have seen it for weeks now and finally caved in to buy it)...I was set on creating this dish. And given that the pasta was fresh and wouldn't last for forever, I knew that the execution of the dish was inevitable within the next couple days...an exciting feeling for the build up this recipe received.

The original dish showed an image of the food as having an extremely wide pasta (yes, I've NEVER had pappardelle before).


However, the pasta that I picked up was quite a bit thinner, just slightly wider than fettuccine. Though I was a little disspointed at the lack of similarity, my disappointment disappeared immediately as I took my first bite of this incredible fresh, soft, did I say incredible? pasta.

Pasta brand:



Close up of un-cooked pasta:



Our last time cooking with fresh pasta was slightly disappointing (see ravioli recipe with tomato brodo). Not only did the dish not turn out perfectly, the pasta itself had a slightly odd, unpleasant odor...one that I could pinpoint precisely but in the interest of appetites, I'll refrain from posting.

This pasta was the star, as Italians seek to highlight. The traditional pasta dish is pasta first-and-foremost, sauce second. I would agree with that with this dish, so PLEASE use some fresh pasta!

I made this dish (as well as the previous night's gazpacho) all on my own. I'd say that I was 2 for 2. Here's how I did it:

Adapted from: http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/pappardelle-with-lamb-ragu

Pappardelle with Lamb Ragu

Ingredients
1.5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 carrot, finely diced
1 large shallot, finely diced
1 celery rib, finely diced
3/4 pounds ground lamb
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon ground fennel seeds
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
3/4 teaspoon chopped rosemary
1/2 teaspoon chopped thyme
Salt and freshly ground pepper
2 teaspoons tomato paste
1/4 cup dry red wine (used a unique Frick Winery rhone blend)
5 vine-ripened tomatoes, blanched and skin removed
3/4 cups beef broth
3/4 pound pappardelle
1/2 cup fresh ricotta cheese
2 tablespoons chopped mint

1.In a large cast-iron casserole, heat oil. Add the carrot, onion and celery and cook over high heat, stirring occasionally, until slightly softened, 5 minutes. Add the lamb, coriander, fennel, cumin, rosemary and thyme; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, until the liquid evaporates, 5 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste. Add the wine and cook until evaporated, 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes and their juices, along with the stock and bring to a boil. Cover partially and cook over moderately low heat until the liquid is slightly reduced, 25 to 30 minutes.

2.In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the pasta until al dente. Drain, shaking well. Add the pasta to the sauce. Serve the pasta in bowls, topped with the ricotta and mint.



I still don't love ricotta, but I must admit, it goes really well with this dish. The slight creaminess, paired with the refreshing mint and the slightly spiced lamb...wonderful. I wouldn't mind a touch of heat so I would consider adding in some red pepper flakes - just a few. I also had to add a little salt on top but that's probably because I didn't salt enough while cooking. I also wouldn't mind a few more tomatoes.

We served this with Frick's 2005 Carignane- just $22/bottle. It was fabulous.

I had the leftovers last night and was in heaven. I am set on buying some more of this incredible pasta - at just $4.50 per pack, I think I can handle it. Though, their raviolis are $8.50 - and with flavors like pear/pecornio and caprese...I think that will be the next Farmer's Market pasta purchase.

No comments:

Post a Comment