Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Five years ago, I, Katie, age 18, was a self-proclaimed picky eater. Seafood, wild game, anything cooked less than "medium well," interesting fruits and vegetables, cheese, condiments, etc. All of these delicacies were overlooked and underappreciated...in fact, they were abhored. My parents make fun of my standard order of Chicken Fingers (with honey) that got me through my childhood. While I know that I graduated from chicken fingers during my teen years (branching out to a common Chicken Caesar Salad or turkey sandwich with lettuce), my tastebuds were stagnant, dull, and, unbenownst to me, dying to bloom.

Into my life walks Derek, a fine looking young man in a flannel shirt, jean vest, and trucker hat - exactly what I had been looking for...(a bit of a jest, it was a Dukes of Hazzard sorority/fraternity mixer, and I admit, I was a bit of a Daisy Duke that night as well). This meeting was the end to my single college days and also the end to my mundane gastronomic profile. Together we have begun to explore the new and limitless world of food, drink and general adventures that go along with it. While we still cook the first dinner that Derek ever cooked for me, Chicken Parmesan (and I am embarrassed to admit that I washed it down with Sutter Home White Zinfandel...), our new-found passion for food and wine has led us on a journey to understand, appreciate and make some darn good food. It doesn't have to be fancy, and not everything we do turns out picture-perfect, but it's the journey and exploration that keeps us in the kitchen.

As a New Years resolution to track our adventures, here is an intimate look into the daily food and wine adventures of Derek and Katie.